Pages

Monday 9 September 2024

RIP James Earl Jones

Like everyone, I was sad to see the news that James Earl Jones died today. I confess I didn't know much of his work beyond the obvious ones, like voicing Darth Vader and Mufasa, as well as in the early Tom Clancy films. But of course I knew his voice, and I knew his presence whenever he showed up on screen.

Reading his Wikipedia page, it's exciting to see that he had the same type of experience on stage as some of the great British actors, having played roles in Shakespeare as well as contemporary American theater. I've long thought that America should have an equivalent to the Royal Shakespeare Company, i.e. a group that turns out the most talented actors, like Ian McKellen, Michael Gambon, Patrick Stewart, Lawrence Olivier... I'm aware I've listed a bunch who did SFF movies or shows, but bear with me, will you?

Anyway, Jones would belong in that company, and now that I've read of his background in Shakespeare and in theater more generally, I'm sad I never got to see it. He was a great actor, and he'll be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment