Pages

Sunday 9 August 2020

Message to Joe Biden: Pick Bailey Warren as VP

The topic came up in conversation with my girlfriend this weekend, but I wanted to throw out a suggestion for Joe Biden's vice-presidential pick. I know he's said he wants to pick a female running mate, but I think Elizabeth Warren's dog Bailey should be on the ticket.

Canvassing for Warren in Iowa. Source: Getty Images

I have clearly taken leave of my senses, but if you'll humor me for a second, until the orderlies drag me away, Bailey is a good dog. He marches for progressive causes, and he's in favor of redistribution of wealth, as evidenced by that time he stole a burrito from Senator Warren's staffer. The fact that he has no legislative or governing experience is a bit of a knock, but that means there are also no prior votes that would be difficult to defend.

One also presumes that, as the dog of a noted policy wonk like Warren, he'd have a better grasp of both the issues and their underlying causes than about 90% of other potential candidates.

He's also likely to have appeal across the aisle. He's a big, fuzzy, rambunctious dog, with a friendly smile and a nice golden coat. Golden retrievers originally came from Scotland, sure, but it's hard to imagine a more all-American breed, well-suited to the outdoors and to hunting. There may be some type of person who'd look at the face of a golden retriever and think, "No, I'd rather vote for the guy who doesn't even have a pet", but to be honest, I don't think the Democrats are going to get that person anyway.

The only problem I can really see is that Biden then loses the nationwide cat vote, but - without meaning to generalize here - cats aren't known for their reliable voting habits. I mean, when was the last time you saw a cat at a polling station?

Naturally, this is just a suggestion. I'm sure the Biden campaign has all kinds of lists drawn up of potential running mates. But I wanted to flag up one that they may have overlooked, who not only sat in for Warren during the impeachment trial and who the Des Moines Register called "a natural closer".

1 comment: