Pages

Monday 10 January 2022

RIP Bob Saget

Saw the news about Bob Saget passing away yesterday, and I've spent the last 24 hours seeing reactions and listening to Marc Maron's tribute episode containing each of Saget's three appearances on WTF. I won't pretend to have a large knowledge of Bob Saget's work outside Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos, but since those shows formed part of the backdrop to my childhood, it feels right to acknowledge him here.

Like probably everyone, I was delighted to discover that outside of his ABC shows he was an amazingly foul-mouthed standup, starting with his cameo in Half-Baked.


Later on I heard more of that persona on podcasts, like the Nerdist and now WTF, and loved some of those close-to-the-bone jokes. I also heard his voice as the older Ted Mosby on How I Met Your Mother, another role that maybe didn't have much to do with his stage persona, but felt like excellent casting based on his earlier TV work.

I understand he appeared on Fuller House, the revival show, which is funny. I also hear that he remained close to the actresses who played his daughters, which is sweet (even though the AV Club reports that their parents weren't too happy with the language he'd use in front of them on set).

Listening to him on Maron today, I'm also struck by how long he worked in standup, and how many big names he came up with. It's sad that, at the relatively young age of 65, we've lost another veteran of the 80s comedy boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment