Pages

Monday 12 February 2024

Super Bowl 2024: No Joy in Mudville. Also Deadpool!

Quite apart from my own thoughts on the Super Bowl and the NFL in particular, I've managed to string together over a decade of watching the damn thing. I was about to say I've also strung together a decade of writing about it here, but it turns out that's not true: the last time I blogged about the Super Bowl was 2021, when I considered the year of pandemic awfulness that had just transpired, and 2017, when emotions still ran high over the election of Donald Trump and the fact that Tom Brady is buddies with him.

This is a relief, because unlike the Champions League final, I don't have much to say on stats. Although that said, it was interesting to see not only that last night's game was a repeat of 2020, with pretty much the same end result (the 49ers losing), but that Kansas City got to the 2021 edition as well, so my limited NFL statto-ness is twitching at the idea that Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs are probably the best QB and team of the last few years, since they always seem to get to the Super Bowl. And indeed, a quick check on Wikipedia turns up that 2022 was the only year since 2020 in which the Chiefs didn't feature in the Super Bowl.

So, good for them, I suppose.

Less good for the 49ers, whom I still have yet to see win the Super Bowl, at least since 1988 when they beat the Bengals. They haven't won since 1995, but I'd stopped paying attention by then, and wouldn't start watching the Super Bowl again until 2005, when I was at journalism school and doing a sports journalism course.

It was a little disappointing to see this streak of not winning the Super Bowl continue last night, especially when considering that the 49ers were in the lead for most of the game. But c'est la vie, I guess.

The other big point of interest for me last night was the debut of the Deadpool 3 trailer, but that was also a bit of a disappointment: they just directed us back to the internet to watch the full trailer there. The full trailer had its moments, but I was hoping for a bit more info on what the movie's going to be like - though the references to the Time Variance Authority were interesting.

I'm getting a little leery of that sort of thing, because I've noticed Marvel relying on it a bit too much: specifically, using characters and settings and plot elements from the Disney Plus TV shows to inform the plots of MCU movies. It was one of the problems with Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, and I think it didn't help the Marvels much either, which is particularly disappointing when you consider that the Disney Plus shows those movies referenced were really good.

Loki was also quite good, so that should bode well for Deadpool and Wolverine, but as I say, I'd have liked to see more about what the movie was going to feel like. Thinking back to 2017, trailers for both Thor: Ragnarok and Logan made good use of music (Immigrant Song and Hurt, respectively) set against key footage from the movies to give us enough broad strokes of the story to get excited.

On the other hand, Deadpool movies have always done a nice job of mining X-Men lore, which I'm particularly susceptible to at the moment, so that should be promising. I'm also hoping to see more of Wolverine's part in the movie in any subsequent trailers, since it marks the (hopefully) triumphant return of Hugh Jackman to the role.

Anyway, let's close by paying tribute to the fact that I closed off a blog ostensibly about the Super Bowl with a discussion of comic book movies. It's not often that I get to marry my sports nerdiness with my comics and movies nerdiness, so I feel like this deserves some kind of trophy of its own.

Whatever. I'll report back on Deadpool and Wolverine in July, when it comes out, and I may or may not write about the 2025 Super Bowl, if there are good superhero movie trailers then too.

No comments:

Post a Comment