Pages

Sunday 10 March 2024

In Praise of Batman: the Brave and the Bold

Just finished Batman: the Brave and the Bold yesterday, so I wanted to get some thoughts down on how it took me a while to warm to the show, but as I did, it also got more interesting. It's not part of the wonderful DCAU that started with Batman: The Animated Series, but it shares a lot of similarities, even though it's consciously aimed at a different aesthetic.

The first thing to say is that it took me a long time to finish the show. I first discovered it when I was poking around Netflix after finishing Justice League Unlimited, and at first glance it seemed aimed at a much younger audience than the DCAU shows. It mined both classic DC characters, which I knew well, but also newer versions of them (like the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle), which I didn't know, so it was hard to get a sense at first of whether I liked it. That said, whenever I'd go down some Wikipedia rabbit hole about an obscure DC character (something that happens quite often, I'll admit), more often than not I'd see that the character had appeared in BTBATB. Not only that, but it also implied some relatively more mature storylines than I'd seen in the few episodes I'd watched.

Fast forward a couple of years, and we're in the pandemic. I'm at my then-girlfriend's house, we've merged our streaming apps, and there's nothing to do but watch TV with all our free time. So I started BTBATB again on her version of HBO Max, watching bits here and there during my lunch breaks from work or when she was doing something else.

Then we broke up, and I had to get access to HBO Max (subsequently Max) on my own. Somewhere in that time I got into the habit of watching cartoons while eating lunch on Saturdays, so I started splitting my Saturday lunchtimes between Gravity Falls on Disney Plus and BTBATB. This meant that I was watching one episode a week, so it took a while - indeed, I finally finished the first season in January of 2023. Between holidays and Saturdays when I wasn't home to watch my usual shows, it's taken me this long to finish up the rest of the show.

By this time, I was pretty onboard with the substance of the show. Like the comic book series it's named after, BTBATB featured different team-ups every week, sometimes doing different ones in the cold open than in the episode's main story. Where Batman TAS started off as an homage to 1930s serials, this show was more indebted to the Silver Age of 1950s and 60s comics, where Batman was more of an adventurer with gadgets than the brooding crimefighter we normally associate him with, and the guest stars reflected this. There were a lot of guest appearances from Kamandi, the Last Boy on Earth (an old Jack Kirby feature from the time in the 70s when he was feuding with Marvel), as well as from Blue Beetle, Aquaman Green Arrow and others.

The interesting thing was that it had few other trappings of Batman that we commonly think of. There wasn't any reference to Bruce Wayne until the second season (we didn't even see Batman out of costume until then). We also didn't see the Joker for the entire first half of the first season, and his first appearance was as an alternate-universe hero version, the Red Hood; even then, we didn't hear the name Joker for a while. The show's creators were similarly reticent about big-name guest stars: we don't see Superman or Wonder Woman until the third season, and other big names were replaced by Golden Age versions or other alternates - for example, Guy Gardner was the main Green Lantern in this show.

For the guests they did have, they typically went very deep. The episode featuring the Doom Patrol has Batman teaming up with the original 1960s version, but there are references in the background to Grant Morrison's seminal run on the team, such as Dorothy Spinner and the Russian doll motif that dominated Morrison's issues. There's even a poster of Shasta, the Living Mountain, a throwaway character from Doom Force, the parody of X-Force/Rob Liefeld/90s mutant books that capped off Morrison's run. Talk about your deep cuts.

Another similarity with TAS is that it benefited from some great voice talent, in part because both shows had the voice director Andrea Romano casting them. Diedrich Bader is maybe not as iconic a Batman as Kevin Conroy, but he did a good job with the less brooding version of the character; also Conroy appeared a few times as an alternate Batman (in an episode that also brought back Dana Delany as a version of Lois Lane) and as the Phantom Stranger. Joe Dimaggio had a recurring role as Aquaman, but a version that was gleefully oblivious and loudmouthed. And Peter Reubens played Bat-Mite a few times, always in episodes that wreaked meta-havoc on the show's continuity.

The best example of the show's devotion to deep cuts, clever casting and meta commentary is the final episode, Mitefall, where Bat-Mite decides to shake up the show to get it cancelled and bring back the brooding version of Batman. He adds in merchandising tie-in vehicles and costumes, gives Batman a wife and daughter, and recasts Aquaman as Ted McGinley, all in an attempt to make the show jump the shark (listing off all the elements that make shows jump the shark, he lists casting Ted McGinley as one of the important factors in any show's cancellation).

Opposing him is Ambush Bug, the Keith Giffen creation who essentially played that same meta-role in a couple of mini-series in the 80s, generally making fun of the weird and forgettable characters that popped up in the less-known corners of the DC Universe in the 60s. The best part is that Ambush Bug is voiced by the man who gave us the phrase "jumping the shark", Henry Winkler.

Not that the silly, meta stories were the only ones with relatively sophisticated storytelling. Chill of the Night featured a retelling of the Batman origin (and featured Adam West as Batman's father), while the Doom Patrol episode had the team giving their lives to save an island of hostages from the Brotherhood of Evil. B'Wana Beast also died heroically in an episode after having been mocked for being a Z-list character. In its way, this show had more death and heartbreak than the mainline DCAU shows, like JLU.

It took me a while to warm to, as I mentioned, but once I did, I was all-in. I don't really miss the 60s Batman, which was generally silly and unsophisticated, but BTBATB was a good, modern way of tackling it, making the references smarter for adults and long-time fans, while also being suitable for kids. It stands alone in its corner of DC's universe of animated shows, but in the end, it's a worthy addition and well-worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment